Related product category: Other
Chicken, vegetables, black beans and chiles make this hearty main course a meal in its own. Prepare this hearty entrée for your next potluck.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chile powder
1/2 lb mushrooms, washed and quartered
15 oz can tomatoes, chopped with juice reserved
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
4 oz can, diced green chile
14 oz can, black beans, drained and rinsed
4 1/2-5 oz soft goat cheese
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp melted shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch dice and toss with salt and pepper. Coat bottom of large skillet lightly with oil and heat over medium heat. When hot add the chicken and fry, stirring occassionally, just until chicken is no longer
- Add a little more oil to same pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion and green paper and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add chiles, garlic, chili powder and mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes, until mushrooms have lost their raw appearance. Increase heat to medium high and add chopped tomatoes, vinegar and water. When mixture reaches a boil, add rinsed black beans and ch
- Pour mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13" nonstick pan. Set aside.
- Prepare topping: Mix dry ingredients in bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Add to dry mixture and then whisk in shortening. Spread batter evenly over top of casserole with a rubber spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven 30-35 minutes until top is brown.